Dept. of Clinical Pharmacy
Clinical pharmacy is a branch of pharmacy that involves the provision of patient care with the use of medications to optimize the health outcomes of patients. This includes promoting wellness and preventing disease. The practice of clinical pharmacy embraces pharmaceutical care philosophy. Furthermore it combines patient care with specialized therapeutic knowledge about the use of medications.
Role of the Clinical Pharmacist
- Clinical pharmacists are the experts in the therapeutic use of medicines in the healthcare team and may perform various tasks including:
- Evaluating medication therapy and making appropriate recommendations to patients or health practitioners.
- Providing evidence-based information and advice about the safe and effective use of medications.
- Recognizing untreated health conditions that could be managed with medication therapy.
- Monitoring patient progress with medications and making relevant recommendations to change
- Advising patients about the best way to take medications
- Assisting in direct care of patients in hospitals and surgeries.
- Developing requirements for post registration continued professional development for governing bodies.